Repost: Networking Freakduino sequencing and potential dimming of EL

Home Forums Hardware Freakduino Repost: Networking Freakduino sequencing and potential dimming of EL

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  akiba September 4, 2017 at 5:48 am.

• Author

akiba
    Keymaster

Salutations from the deep South!
    Mardi Gras here in New Orleans has come and gone and costume plans for next year are starting to circulate. Next year we would like to bring our costume game to the next level. Enter Freakduino! What a brilliant and seemingly simple way of adding alot of color with El wire to my Krewes costumes and possibly adding sequencing for spontanious dance numbers0.0!

Being the head Nerd in charge ive been given the task of figuring out how to make our costumes the best they can be. So…

[This topic reposted from the old forum]
    Question 1: In the video tutorial it looked relatively simple to control one board wirelessly but how easy would it to be to network and sequence multiple boards; possibly 7 ?

Question 2: We want to have EL wire possibly dim as well as sequence to fully utilize the Vixen program. Could I add a digi pot controller per inverter to control the voltage going into it, thus controlling the value of the El wire?

Question 3: If I purchase the boards here at Freaklabs is it possible to have help with code development… I can get the led to blink on and off : ) I’m very new to the world of micro controllers. Hardware seems pretty cut and dry but I can see the code being the lynch pin that makes or breaks a project.

Arigatou Akiba,
    Illuminola –

Akiba
    FreakLabs Open Source Wireless
    Twitter: @freaklabs
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/freaklabswireless

akiba
    Keymaster

Hi. Sorry for the late response. It’s the golden week holidays in Japan so things are a bit busy. Here are the answers to your questions:

Question 1: In the video tutorial it looked relatively simple to control one board wirelessly but how easy would it to be to network and sequence multiple boards; possibly 7 ?

Question 2: We want to have EL wire possibly dim as well as sequence to fully utilize the Vixen program. Could I add a digi pot controller per inverter to control the voltage going into it, thus controlling the value of the El wire?

Question 3: If I purchase the boards here at Freaklabs is it possible to have help with code development… I can get the led to blink on and off : ) I’m very new to the world of micro controllers. Hardware seems pretty cut and dry but I can see the code being the lynch pin that makes or breaks a project.

A1) It’s not hard at all. Each board is given its own address. So for 7 boards, I’d set the addresses to be 0 through 6. The address space is up to 65,530. From there, you can just individually address each board using its address or communicate to all using a broadcast address (0xFFFF).

A2) Actually I have already have a similar setup for the Illuminado boards I use for Wrecking Crew Orchestra. It works quite well but you need to be careful to get a pot that can handle up to 15V since most inverters are 12V.

A3) I think you might be interested in the Illuminado board. It’s not in the shop yet, but if you want to pre-order, send me an email at akiba(at)freaklabs.org. I’ve been shipping those boards for about two years now so they are very stable. I’ve just never done it commercially since it originally started out as kind of an art project.

Hope that helps 🙂
    Akiba

Akiba
    FreakLabs Open Source Wireless
    Twitter: @freaklabs
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/freaklabswireless

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.